Thank you to all those who attended and supported HZG at their annaul open days in 2017. No dates have been released for next year yet. Open Day dates have taken place in mid-September since they began in 2008. Dates are usually released in July with the box office opening on the first week of August.
Heythrop Zoo is a private animal training centre not open to the general public. The only times HZG’s premises are viewed by large groups of people are within the context of private educational visits by schools and colleges. However, in September, HZG makes an exception and opens its gates to the general public for only three days. These events allow visitors access to areas only usually available to HZG’s clients in the media industry. HZG also stage various animal training demonstrations, talks and presentations. Parking is free and we have a pig roast and refreshment stand available as well.
Unfortunately we cannot allow dogs onto our premises due to licensing – please do not bring them and leave them in your vehicle as the car park is a sun trap – if you bring your dog with the intention of leaving them in the car, you will be turned away.
10am till 5pm
ADULTS (13 & over)……………………………………. £14
12 yrs & UNDER & O.A.P’s……………………………….. £10
3 yrs & UNDER ………………………………………..FREE
FAMILY (2 x adults & 2 x children) ………………. £42*
*No other voucher permitted with this offer
FOOD & REFRESHMENTS available • FREE PARKING
TICKETS AVAILABLE FROM 1st August
Cash or cheque payment only. Cards are NOT accepted.
Tel: 01608 683389/683420 or 07932 998217
If you haven’t had a reply back with the booking form within 2 working days of emailing firstname.lastname@example.org please call us as we may not have received your email – please also check your junk folder.
Please be aware that H.Z.G, with its different design and layout, is not like any other zoo. It is a private establishment, built for the media industry and is not normally open to the general public.
Tickets are available to buy from the 1st August 2017. All booking forms and payments received before this date will be held and issued on the 1st August 2017. Payments will not be processed until this date.
Final admissions into the zoo is 4 pm.
If you wish to pre-book, please email email@example.com and we will email you a booking form. Please print off the form and complete ALL sections, including which day you wish to come, the quantity and type of tickets you require and your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice of the studio show you wish to view. We have been advised that we cannot allow wheelchair users or mobility scooters into the studio show due to revised health and safety, and updated fire regulations. Please understand that this is not a decision we have taken lightly and have sought expert advice regarding this matter. Please post this form along with your payment and a SAE to the address below. Please ensure your SAE will cover the postage if you require a large amount of tickets. We will then send you back your zoo entry tickets and your show tickets. Please ensure you bring these tickets with you on the day as the show tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. Without the show tickets, you will not be allowed entry into the show. If your 1st choice of show has been fully booked, I shall move onto your 2nd choice and so on. Closing date for postal entries is 1st September for 10th September open day, and 8th September for the 16th & 17th September open days.
Booking forms received after this time may not receive tickets due to the time frame in sending them back. I will call you on the number you supply to discuss this if this is the case.
If you are unable to print the booking form, please supply me with all the information required on a letter. If there are any problems I will call you on the number you supply.
CHECKLIST To purchase open day tickets;
1) a stamped self-addressed envelope with the appropriate cost of stamp as per the amount of tickets you are buying
2) Completed booking form
3) cheque (with your details on the reverse) or postal order payable to; HEYTHROP ZOOLOGICAL GARDENS LTD
HEYTHROP ZOOLOGICAL GARDENS OPEN DAY,
Buying Tickets on the Day:
You can arrive on the day and purchase your zoo entry tickets, we have never turned anyone away or sold out of zoo entry tickets. Remaining Show tickets on the day are handed out on a first come first served basis. We only have a limited number of seats in the studio show, hence why we arrange tickets so we don’t have to turn people away that have queued. This is for strict Health and Safety reasons. Please appreciate our legal and practical decision on this matter.
We can only accept cash or cheque payments on the day.
We DO NOT have any card facilities on site.
Important Points to Note About HZG’s Annual Open Days
- The zoo premises are at the opposite end to Heythrop Park (Crown Plaza) Hotel. There is NO access to our zoo from the hotel.
- All pre-booked tickets have a map enclosed to Heythrop Zoo.
- There will be small man-made “HZG” signs from the Chipping Norton to South Newington Road A361 and from the A44 by the Enstone Texaco garage.
- The car park opens at 9:30 each day. We may open a little earlier if we are anticipating a very large number of early visitors.
- The zoo opens at 10:00 each day. We may open a little earlier if we are anticipating a very large number of early visitors.
- The zoo closes at 17:00 each day and final admissions into the zoo is 16.00.
- Admission is for a single day entry. There are no weekend passes.
- The zoo CANNOT process credit card payments. We accept cash and cheques ONLY and have no card facilities onsite.
- Pre-booked tickets are paid for by cash, postal order or cheque made payable to Heythrop Zoological Gardens Ltd.
- We have a limited number of tickets for the studio show, showcasing our large carnivores (usually lions and/or tigers). Pre-bought tickets will receive their tickets for the shows through the post along with their zoo tickets. Please understand that we can only legally and physically seat 230 people per show. If you buy on the day, receiving a ticket for any of these studio shows will be dependent on when you arrive at the zoo and if there is any availability left. If all the studio tickets have been handed out, you may not be able to see the show. We appreciate your understanding if all the tickets have been handed out.
- Animal welfare is a priority. At every open day you will be sharing your experiences with various professionals connected to animal welfare and animal behaviour studies. At least one independent unpaid veterinary professional, who specialises in the care of zoo animals, will be present on every day. We invite them to oversee every aspect of our day and offer feedback where necessary.
- There are various other attractions, presentations and shows around the zoo other than the studio show that will be showing throughout the day
- Refreshments, including soft beverages and hog roast, are available to purchase on site.
- No alcohol is sold or permitted on the zoo premises.
- Guests are NOT permitted to bring dogs to the zoo due to our licensing.
- We have very limited access for people with mobility difficulties and pushchairs. We have been advised that we cannot allow wheelchair users or mobility scooters into the studio show due to revised health and safety, and updated fire regulations. Please understand that this is not a decision we have taken lightly and have sought expert advice regarding this matter.
- All photographs and video footage are for personal use only and MUST NOT be posted on any commercial or fund-raising internet websites or used for commercial or financial gain unless written permission is granted by Heythrop Zoological Gardens Ltd. senior management prior to the event. However, please feel free to them to Heythrop Zoological Gardens Facebook page for their approval. Please do not post image of the faces of any members of the visiting public, especially under 18s, who have not given their consent.
- For more information on our premises, please visit www.amazinganimals.co.uk We also have a Facebook page which we welcome all visitors to share their views and any pictures of your day, please visit www.facebook.com/heythropzoologicalgardens
Heythrop Zoological Gardens Code of Conduct
All visitors are to read, agree and abide by the below Code of Conduct as a condition of their entrance to Heythrop Zoological Gardens, hereafter known as H.Z.G. H.Z.G. reserves the right, at the discretion of gate attendants and management, to refuse entry to the premises and to escort off the premises anyone who contravenes the H.Z.G. Code of Conduct.
- Pets (including dogs) are not permitted on the premises.
- You must not feed or touch the animals unless permission is granted by a H.Z.G. member of staff.
- No climbing on or leaning over the fences, walls or barriers.
- No throwing objects at the animals or into their enclosures.
- Put all litter in the bins provided.
- Please follow all H.Z.G. written and verbal instructions given throughout the day, as these are for your own safety and the welfare of H.Z.G’s animals.
- Entering restricted areas is strictly forbidden.
- Please make sure you wash your hands if you touch any of the animals. Hand gel and hand washing facilities are available around the premises.
- All children must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Furthermore, all visitors must be able to look after members of their own group as personal assistance is not available from H.Z.G. staff.
- H.Z.G. Ltd is not responsible for any loss or damage of property.
- H.Z.G. reserves the right to prohibit any member of the public from any future entry to their premises. Furthermore, H.Z.G. reserves the right to escort off the premises any individual who displays any of the below behaviours: Uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour towards our staff, volunteers or other visitors on site, or disrupts any of their animals. Destroys or wilfully misuses any of H.Z.G’s property. Behaves in a manner, which in their opinion is likely to affect the enjoyment of other visitors. Takes into H.Z.G’s premises or is found to have on their possession offensive weapons or dangerous articles. Fails to follow the written or verbal health and safety instructions of each area of H.Z.G’s premises or behaves in a matter which may endanger the safety of that person, other visitors or animals at H.Z.G’s premises.
- All photographs and video footage are for personal use only and MUST NOT be posted on any commercial or fund-raising internet websites or used for commercial/financial gain unless written permission is granted by H.Z.G. senior management. DO NOT post images of the faces of any members of the visiting public, especially under 18s, that have not given their consent.
The purpose of our open days was to show our local community what we do. We have been very lucky to have enjoyed the support of much of our local and surrounding neighbours, not to mention those who travel even further afield. Here are some of their reviews:
From 2015’s Open Days
“A lovely experience for all ages. Well looked after healthy animals. Staff are all nice and friendly an show genuine love an care for the animals. I always recommend people to visit on the open day an will go myself every year 🙂 We are all very lucky to be invited to see what happens just up the road from us 🙂 thank you xx” – Lucia Davanzo, Cheltenham
“We enjoyed your open day so much we come both weekends. its great to see how its all done behind the screens and to see how well your looking after them. it is nice to be able to get close to the animals and see how happy they are. The show was informative and amazing, you can feel the power from the Big Cats. Thank you for letting us come and visit. We will be back again.” – Claire Bond – Leafield
“Absolutely amazing place! The staff are so friendly and the animals so well cared for! Can not recommend this place enough! Very educational on how the animals are trained for film work! Keep up the good work guys!” – Stacey Ealey
“WOW what a fabulous day, I wish I could book now for next year! Magical experience, worth every penny. Staff are a credit, they were are all running around mucking in. They made my children feel very special.” – Jane Khan
“Had a great day. The big cat shows were awesome and it was a privilege to see them lazing around in the sun afterwards (occasionally apparently posing for the cameras). Humorous (and educational for the kids) nature versus nurture show and other things going on that made it a lovely family day out. Also had a more friendly/relaxed feel than many other places.” – Nicky Tarry
“The open day today was excellent .the big cat show was amazing.a great day well recommend it and well worth the money .” – Sandra Collins
“Fantastic day out with my family. Animals looked well treated and the staff seemed to really care for them and worked extremely hard considering the place is not normally open to the public.” – Kaylie Thompson
“Lovely day with the family, amazing to get up so close to these majestic animals which looked so relaxed and comfortable in their enclosures!” – Michael Bailey
“The open day yesterday was great. Well worth the money 🙂 the big cat show was like nothing I’d ever seen, the while day was amazing” – Rosie Gallagher
“Amazing place amazing animals and amazing staff!!!!” – Christina Cadwallader
“Best day and so lovely to meet knowledgeable friendly people and amazing animals.” – Emma Powell
“Absolutely brilliant – I have never been so close to ‘big’ cats – A*” – Kirsty Ann McKenna
From 2014’s Open Days
“It was my first experience of your open day; such a happy and wholesome occasion and clearly valued by the local community… It was good to see children occupied and interested in everything there was to see and do… However well-planned and organised the event might be, it would not be possible without the superb support of your staff, both permanent and casual, who merit special commendation. All the show presenters and animal handlers were intelligent, witty and appropriate in what they said, with engaging and vivacious personalities to put us at ease.” – Nick Thompson, Surrey
“We had an amazing day on Sunday! The volunteers and staff were all very friendly and helpful and it was a very different experience compared to a normal zoo! The children loved getting up close and personal with the animals and the lion show was incredible!” – Laura Lamb, Witney
“Just wanted to say what a fantastic day we had on Sunday. Thank you to all the staff, volunteers and of course to the animals.” – Cindy Oliver, Oxfordshire
“We came along to the Open Day today and just wanted to say THANK YOU for offering such a fantastic opportunity to see your work and get close to some truly Amazing Animals!! I was a truly wonderful day and we all took away lots of special moments and happy memories of our day. Look forward to seeing you again next year we hope!” – Alison Haynes
“I would just like to say a big thank you for your opening your zoo up to the public every year, this was or 5th visit and we are absolutely hooked. We were extremely privileged to be at what was the first or second year that you opened to the public and visitors were considerably less in numbers. The animals and the staff are all consistently fantastic! I appreciate that this must be a mammoth task for you all but I hope that you do open your gates again to us next year.” – Wendy Lockley, Burton-on-Trent
If you wish to be updated on our annual open weekends please use the below email address. Please note that our open weekends are usually scheduled for the second or third week in September and box office does not open until the first week in August.